Shown is version 3
Hardware to buy
- Raspberry Pi 3 from CanaKit or another trusted vendor (be careful there are lots of bad cheaper versions that looks just like good ones)
- Kuman starter kit with sensors, breadboard and wires
- Resistors kit so you make most sensor circuits.
Download and provision a SD card
- Officials instructions from Raspberry for more options and operating systems
- Navigate to https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ then download latest Raspbian zip file
- Download Win32 Disk Imager and install it.
- Launch Win32DiskImager.exe and flash the downloaded Raspbian image to your SD card
Run a setup script
I wrote one at https://github.com/olignyf/pisetup
$> git clone https://github.com/olignyf/pisetup
$> cd pisetup
$> chmod +x *.sh
$> ./quick.sh # will bypass apt-get upgrade step, not recommended, unless you have done it already.
Note: It will take at least 3+ hours to upgrade all the system packages and setup the Raspberry Pi.
$> wget https://nodejs.org/dist/latest-v6.x/node-v6.10.0.tar.gz
$> tar -xzvf node-v6.10.0.tar.gz
$> cd node-v6.10.0
$> time make
$> sudo make install
Phenom X4 27m13.621s